| Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment |
1 of document(s) retrieved
The Connecticut General Assembly
OFFICE OF LEGISLATIVE RESEARCH
August 27, 1997 97-R-1012
FROM: George Coppolo, Chief Attorney
RE: Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment
You asked for information in our files concerning the deterrent effect of the death penalty.
We have enclosed copies of the following memos and articles dealing with this topic. Please let us know if you need additional information.
1. Arguments for and against the death penalty contained in a 1995 Wisconsin legislative report including a section on deterrence (pages 11 and 12).
2. OLR research report 85-R-0604 which discusses and includes a copy of an article that attempts to demonstrate that capital punishment increases the murder rate.
3. OLR 87-R-0257 which includes statistics on the deterrent effect of capital punishment.
4. OLR 95-R-0222 which deals with the relationship between the use of capital punishment and the murder rate.
5. OLR 95-R-0337 which deals with whether the death penalty disproportionately impacts minority groups.